Monday, March 13, 2006

Training, Mar. 9 -- Erik Braun

I spent 50 minutes on the trainer on Thursday night (Mar. 9). It has been busy since then, so I haven't had a chance to log the time until now (Monday night, Mar. 13).

The training was aimed at doing "Cruise Intervals." Now, just to be clear, I have not finished reading Friel's book yet. In fact, I have not had time to read it for a while. Instead, I have glanced ahead and looked at some of the workouts in the appendix. I have selected this workout because it focuses on a skill (Endurance) that I will need for BRAG. So, if anyone reads this who understands the dynamics of proper training, understand that I am trying to figure this out as I go. That said, Cruise Intervals involves working at a pace a little above lactate threshold for 10-12 minutes at a time. You then recover before repeating an interval. When doing these, the book says that you can go into superthreshold or even the aerobic capacity level of work. I tried to limit myself to working at superthreshold (163-166 HR).

So, here is the workout:

Warm up, 8 minutes.
Cruise Interval, 10 min., 162 Avg. HR.
Recovery ~2 min., 152 Avg. HR.
Cruise Interval, 10 min., 163 Avg. HR.
Recovery ~2 min., 152 Avg. HR.
Cruise Interval, 10 min., 161 Avg. HR.
Recovery/Cool Down, ~7 min., 136 Avg. HR.
Total Workout: 50 min., 151 Avg. HR, 170 Max. HR.

During the workout, I listened to a sermon by Erik Braun. Erik is the "senior" pastor of Four Oaks Community Church. Since he is younger than me, it is hard to think of him as a senior anything. I think that Four Oaks is one of the only redeeming qualities that I can think of in Tallahassee. Anyone who passes through Tally should stop in for church.

Erik was preaching on Worship. A very good sermon. Unfortunately, they no longer have a link for the sermon on their webpage. He gave the sermon on Sept. 11, 2005. He talked about worship as the ultimate commitment of a believer. You can find Erik's thoughts on worship here.

While I am giving Erik some props, you can find his blog here. However, not all is great at the blog. Erik has his settings so that he now moderates comments. While this keeps him from having comment spam, not every comment submitted makes it onto the blog.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home